Friday, April 24, 2009

Perfect Potato Salad


I love potato salad and will usually try any new recipe I find for potato salad. Sadly my husband does not share my love for potato salad. He'll suffer through a small amount just for appearance sake but he really does not like potato salad. Melanie from My Kitchen Cafe posted this recipe and it looked tasty to me. So I decided to serve it with the ribs I made. The recipe calls for hard boiled eggs, which I can stomach at times in my salad, but I left them out this time. I must say I really liked the dressing part of the salad. I'll be using it again in the future. The olives added an interesting taste to the salad but I am not sure I loved them. I missed my onions and the crunch from celery. However the things I missed is what I think made my husband love the dish. Overall this was a perfect potato salad for my family and one I look forward to making again soon. I used fresh buttermilk instead of powdered and water.


Melanie's recipe
Dressing:
2 cups mayonnaise
4 tablespoons powdered buttermilk (The recipe calls for powdered buttermilk but if you have fresh buttermilk, eliminate the 4 tablespoons powdered buttermilk and 2/3 cup water from the recipe and substitute 2/3 cup fresh buttermilk.)
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons minced dried onions
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons mustard

The easiest way to make this is to add all the ingredients to the mayo jar and shake like your life depends on it until everything is combined. Of course, this requires that the mayo jar is half empty (with only 2 cups of mayo in it). If this is not the case, simply combine all the ingredients in a blender and give it a whirl until all ingredients are combined.

Salad:
5 pounds potatoes
1 cup sliced olives
10 hard-boiled eggs, diced

Peel, dice, and boil potatoes until tender but not mushy (I cut my potatoes into bite-size pieces and boil for about 10-11 minutes). Drain potatoes well and pour into large bowl. Add sliced olives and hard-boiled eggs. Pour dressing over warm potatoes until desired "dressing-level" is reached.

*For perfect hard-boiled eggs, place eggs in a deep saucepan; cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 14 minutes. Transfer to an iced water bath; let cool completely. Unpeeled eggs can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. That's the great thing about this salad - you can add whatever you like (onions and celery in your case). I'm glad you liked it. My friend that gave me the recipe said she uses the dressing on shredded chicken for chicken salad on croissants, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds good cause I really loved the dressing. I'm thinking a chicken salad with fresh made croissants may be in my future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!