The weather has been really nice the last few days so I've been working on using the grill outside. Yesterday I made these cheeseburgers and they so good. One of the boys actually ate all of his cheeseburger which is a rare feat. I've never eaten at a Big Boy but my husband talks all the time about the great burgers they have there. As usual he can't fully remember much about an item when I ask what flavors and taste did it have. I'm constantly playing with recipes to get it to taste like he remembers. This has been a burger I've played with for years now and yesterday he claims I finally got the "recipe" right. I also made homemade hamburger buns since my favorite brand now has high fructose corn syrup in them.
Hamburger Buns from allrecipes.com
I did not make 25 rolls with this recipe. I made about 10 rolls because I wanted a larger roll than it sounded like I would get from making 25 rolls.
- 2 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- In a large bowl, stir together the milk, margarine, warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Divide into 25 pieces, and form into balls. Place on baking sheets so they are 2 to 3 inches apart. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the rolls for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly, then split them in half horizontally to fill with your favorite burgers.
Big Boy Cheeseburgers
ground beef patties
Grill Mates hamburger seasoning
1/2 cup may
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons dill relish
ground beef patties
Grill Mates Hamburger seasoning
Sprinkle the seasoning liberally on the patties. Grill the burgers until cooked.
For the special sauce
Mix 1/2 cup mayo with 1/4 cup ketchup. Add about 3 tablespoons of dill relish. Stir until blended
To assemble the burger:
Add special sauce to top and bottom of the inside of the hamburger bun.
Place hamburger on bottom bun and top with a slice of American cheese.
Top with lettuce and top bun.