Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hoisin Honey Ribs



Another great recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, My Kitchen Cafe. I've been wanting to give this recipe a try for awhile now and kept putting it off for numerous reasons but I finally made it this week. I followed how Melanie made the dish by using country style ribs which are not my favorite cut of meat. My husband loves the country style ribs so I am constantly looking for a new way to make them so I will eat them. Overall the ribs were delicious. I actually was able to get the kids to eat all of what was placed on their plate and Don ate leftovers for two days. However, I found them to be okay and wished I had made them with the regular ribs. I loved the sauce and will make this again, even if I had to make it with country style ribs. Give the recipe a try as it really is a very tasty dish.

3 1/2 pounds pork of spareribs, halved crosswise, preferably by a butcher, and cut into individual ribs
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 large garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

In a kettle of boiling salted water simmer the ribs, covered, for 30 minutes and drain them well. (Watch closely, mine boiled over BIG time!)

In a large bowl whisk together the honey, the soy sauce, the garlic paste, the hoisin sauce, the mustard, the vinegar, and black pepper to taste, add the ribs, and toss the mixture well, coating the ribs thoroughly. Let the ribs marinate, chilled, for at least 1 hour or overnight. (I marinated mine overnight and the marinade seeped into every pore of the ribs - yum!)

Remove the ribs from the marinade, arrange them in one layer on the oiled rack of a foil-lined broiler pan, and broil them under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat, basting them with the marinade, for 3 minutes. Turn the ribs with tongs and broil them, basting them with the marinade, for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until they are browned well and glazed. Discard the marinade.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!