Friday, April 17, 2009

Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches


Simple and easy dish to make. However I think these are better as an appetizer than a main dish, which is how I served them. The kids actually ate them which is a bonus. I must warn that if you eat one that has not firmed up it tastes very soggy with a weird after taste. Somehow I managed to get about 2 of the soggy ones and it really turned me off of the sandwiches. But everyone else in the house loved them. It's an interesting taste combination that works. I found the recipe in the World Wide Ward Cookbook.

2 dozen King Sweet Hawaiian Rolls
1 to 1 1/2 lb thin-sliced ham
12 slices Swiss cheese
1 cup butter or margarine
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp poppy seeds (I did not use)

Cut rolls in half. Place desired amount of ham on each roll. Cut slice of Swiss cheese in half, then fold cheese in half and place on top of ham. Fold sandwich back together. Melt butter. Stir Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder into butter. Allow to cool a bit. Pour all the mixture over the top of the sandwiches; it is okay for them to be soaking in the butter! Sprinkle poppy seeds over the top. Place foil lightly over the top and refrigerate overnight or 6-8 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Yummy. Ham with those rolls is great. I made a hot ham and swiss sandwich a while back that I had the same soggy problem with. Not all of them were soggy but the ones that were turned me off them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know I am not the only one with soggy sandwich issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use half the amount of butter, worstershire sauce, garlic powder and poppy seeds so they don't get soggy. They are always SO good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!