Friday, March 20, 2009

Beer-Braised Ham with Melted Onions



Oh my all I can say is this was one of the best sandwiches I've made. You know when after the first bite your husband is yelling "damn this is good," that you've made something tasty. I love the fact it was so easy to make for all the great taste. I thought about making it with chicken stock or even nonalcoholic beer but I went for the real stuff. This recipe called for a small fully cooked ham and I used some sliced deli meat. Using the deli meat shaved about one and a half hours off the total cooking time. I also cut the recipe down to feed a smaller crowd as posted the recipe serves 16. I added baby swiss to the sandwich just because my husband likes cheese with most sandwiches. This is definitely a recipe I will be making again. The recipe as in the March 10, 2009 Standard Examiner.

3 large sweet onions, halved, thickly cut into wedges
12 ounce bottle pilsner beer
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 small fully cooked smoked ham, 8 to 9 pounds

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix the onions, beer, mustard, brown sugar, and pepper in the bottom of a large roasting pan, spreading the onions in an even layer over the bottom. Place the ham, cut side down, over the onions. Cover tightly with heavy-duty foil; bake until heated through, about 2 hours.

Remove ham to a cutting board; cover with foil. Put the roasting pan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring nearly constantly to reduce the pan juices and glaze the onions, about 25 minutes; cool. Thinly slice the ham; serve with the onions.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens, Norah! That sandwich looks scrumptious! I can just imagine the ooohs and aahs. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this sounds really, really good! You have some great stuff over here- I'll be back! And thanks for stopping by my place, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!