Friday, May 8, 2009

Stained Glass Cake


I feel in love with this cake from the picture in Cook's Country June/July 2009 issue. Sadly my cake did not look as picture perfect as theirs. Trust me though this cake tastes much better than my pictures. The kids were loving the looks of the cake. The flavors all came together great and this was actually a really easy cake to make. I used the jello I had on hand so I added a green color, melon fusion flavor, which is not called for in the recipe.

12 graham crackers, crushed to fine crumbs (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cups sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 (3 oz) boxes of Jell-o (2 red , such as cherry or strawberry, and 1 blue, such as berry blue)
4 1/2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Stir in cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter in bowl until crumbs resemble wet sand. Press into bottom of 9-inch springform pan and bake until edges are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

For the filling: In 3 separate large bowls, whisk each box Jell-o with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Pour into 3 loaf pans or pie plates and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. Once Jell-o has solidified, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and keep chilled. Combine 1/4 cup pineapple juice and unflavored gelatin in bowl. Microwave, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, 1 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in remaining pineapple juice. With electric stand mixer set on medium speed, whip cream, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar until stiff peaks forms, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add juice mixture until combined. Gently fold Jell-o cubes into cream mixture. Scrape into prepared pan and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. My husband is going to love you! His mum always made this cake for his birthday. She gave me the recipe, but I had completely forgotten about it until now. Back on the menu it goes!

    http://www.cookincanuck.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one fine lookin springform pan bottom. Hmmm, I wonder where you got it from? It looks great! I don't know what you were complaining about. I actually like the 3rd color. Two reds seems like overkill. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Norah! I need to buy a springform pan so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too made this cake this weekend, it was in the back of the Cooks Country issue that Norah mentions. I too used different colors of Jello than the recipe used, and I used the box instructions for the Jello rather than the recipe instructions, so the Jello was a little looser than I would have liked. This cake really needs to set overnight to get more firmness, but I must say the flavor was really good, not too sweet at all, and was oohed and ahhed over by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send over a piece. It looks great. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!