Friday, May 8, 2009

Corn Chowder

I want to preface this post by telling all of Norah's avid readers that this is Mary, her sister, making a post. I don't post that often, Norah is by far the better cook in the family, but I strive to be more like her. But every once in a while I make something that I just want to share with others.

I was up at her house last weekend and I got to personally look through her latest issue of Cook's Country, the one she has been making everything from. Well I saw a recipe that I wanted to try and she told me she probably wouldn't be making because her husband had no desire to try it. So I thought "yay, a post for me!" Corn chowder was my poision.

I didn't write the recipe down when I was up there, so I called Norah several days later and jotted it down over the phone. Unfortunately, this meant I shorthanded some ingredients and directions so my actual recipe is slightly different than the Cook's Country one. Plus I tried to scaled it down to serve less, there is only 2 of us in my household, but I'll talk more on that later.


Corn Chowder
adapted slightly from Cook's Country
3 cups frozen corn, rinsed of any frozen water particles and patted dry
1 15oz. canned corn, drained
3 cups chicken broth, divided
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
6-8 red potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced

1. Puree the canned corn and 1 cup of the chicken broth until smooth.

2. In a sautee pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add chopped onion and frozen corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown. I found, or maybe I was too impatient, that adding about a teaspoon of sugar helped brown the vegetables quicker. Of course I will almost eat sugar on anything, so you probably don't want to listen to me.

3. In a heavy stockpot, combine potatoes, corn puree mixture, the onion/frozen corn mixture and the remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are tender.

4. Add cream and chives to the pot. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve warm.

The Cook's Country orginally called for fresh ears of corn, which I subbed with my frozen corn. It's not in season yet that I can tell. It also called for bacon, which I had none of, so it got omitted. My mother says she missed the bacon but still enjoyed the meatless soup. And scallions are called for but I have chives I am trying to use up.

I simmered my soup with no lid, which reduced the soup and I had to keep adding more chicken broth so the potatoes would get tender. I never thought to put a lid on it. By adding more broth I effectively didn't scale the recipe down. It probably would serve four people heartily. Next time I'll put a lid on it.

Overall it was delicious and I, personally, didn't need bacon. I would and will make this again.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post before now? And I am so jealous cause I want to try this recipe! Darn my stubborn husband who can be so picky at times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!