Sunday, May 31, 2009

Grill Roasted Ham and an Award

First off, Lynette from Netts Nook gave me this award. If you have not been to her blog you really need to go. She has daily themes for her posts and they are great! I love her movie reviews. She has a little of everything over there so head on over and check out her blog. Lynette, congrats on receiving the award and thank you so much for passing it on to me.

I would like to give the award to Sallie and Julia of My Sister's Kitchen. Its a blog run by two sisters who love to cook. I have several of their recipes on my to make list. They have a recipe for chewy cinnamon cookies that are to die for!
Also I am giving the award to Heidi at Tried and True cooking with Heidi. She posts kid friendly meals and includes how much the recipe cost her to make. I've loved everything I've tried from her blog. One of our favorite recipes from her is the Little Cheddar Meat Loaves.
Goodness the smell of this ham cooking was unbelievable. Sorry the picture does not contain much meat as I totally forgot to take a picture until we had eaten almost all of the ham. The meat was very tender, which says a lot since most ham I make is pretty dry and tough, and the charred outside was delightful to eat. The recipe is pretty simple and easy to make with most of the time done in waiting for it to cook. All three boys ate the ham up and asked for seconds. The original recipe called for more paprika and some cayenne pepper but I wanted a little more sweet rub for mine so I changed it.

Grill Roasted Ham
adapted from Cooks Country April/May 2009

1 4-5 lb cured bone-in ham preferably shank end, skin removed and fat trimmed to 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger

Score ham at 1 inch intervals in crosshatch pattern. Combine sugar, paprika, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and sugar in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture all over ham. Transfer to a V-rack and let stand at room temperature 1 1/2 hours. Thread ham with two metal skewers on both sides of the bone.

Heat all burners on high for 15 minutes, then leave primary burner on high and turn off the other burner. For charcoal grill, open bottom vent on grill. Light 100 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, spread over half of grill. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent half open, for 5 minutes. Scrape cooking grate. Arrange v-rack over cooler side of grill. Cook ham covered, until meat registers 100 degrees, about 1 1/2 hours.

Turn all burners to low. For charcoal grill, light about 25 coals. When coals are covered with a fine gray ash, remove grill grate and scatter over top of spent coals. Replace grill grate and position v-rack directly over coals. Grill ham until lightly charred on all sides, about 30 minutes, turning ham every 5 minutes. Transfer to cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the award! I'm so glad you try and enjoy my recipes. I have several of yours I want to make too :) This ham looks so good. I've done ham steaks on the grill and really enjoyed them. This looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I love the idea of grilling it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the award. It really means a lot ot us. You have some great looking recipes on here and I can see you're a big fan of Cook's Country. I love it too! I can't wait to try the Peanut butter fudge crunch. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!