Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gingerbread Men


I'll admit the kids and I have no talent for decorating cookies however these cookies were very good despite the awful decorating. I did discover that the kids do not like gingerbread cookies. Don and I really liked them. I was leery at first because the recipe called for fresh ginger which I've never used in a cookie before but you can't tell at all that you used fresh ginger. The smell from the cookies cooking made the house smell good and we had several neighbors stop and ask about them. I found the recipe in the Marth Stewart Baking handbook.
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice
1/4 teapoon ground cloves
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
1 large egg
1/4 unsulfured molasses
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, and cloves; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, both sugars, and fresh ginger on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in egg and molasses to combine. With mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixer, beating until just incorporated. Turn out the dough onto a clean work surface. Divide in half, and shape into flattened disks; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two large baking sheets wtih parchment paper; set aside. Remove dough from the refrigerator, and let stand until slightly softened. (This will help keep the dough from cracking when rolled.) On a large piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick. To prevent sticking while rolling, occasionally run a large offset spatula under the dough, and add more flour. Place parchment paper and dough on another baking sheet; freeze until very firm, about 15 minutes.
Remove dough from freezer; working quickly, cut out with large cookie cutters. (If dough begins to soften too much, return to the freezer for a few minutes.) Using a wide metal spatula, tansfer cutouts to prepared baking sheets; chill until firm, about 15 minutes.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are crisp but not darkened, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer parchment and cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. Those cookies look fine to me Norah. Gee, I wish I would have gotten here sooner. I just celebrated Gingerbread House Day. Your cookies certainly rate an invitation. Perhaps, next year:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I'll have to remember this for next year. Thanks for telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Norah,
    I tried to email you but couldn't find your address anywhere. You can find the monthly celebrations on my google calendar. The stars are posts I did. I'm sorry for putting this here but I just thought you might want to know. BTW, LOVE the new turkey recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for letting me know. I'll be checking your calendar out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!