Thursday, May 8, 2008

Favorite Ground beef and beans


I found this recipe in the Pillsbury Hamburger magazine that I noticed at the grocery store last month. Normally I don't pick up magazines like this one but I was participating in a pantry challenge last month and I have tons of ground beef to use up so I thought this might give me a few ideas.
The dish was quite tasty although I didn't make it 100% to the recipe. I subbed a can of chili beans for the kidney beans since I was out of canned kidney beans and didn't have time to make dried beans. I also didn't have a full bottle of chili sauce but it was about 3/4 full. I also didn't have any green chilies (I don't remember using the last can of those) so I think it was missing a flavor. It tasted pretty good and was a different change of pace for us. I think I'll try it again with the green chilies to see if it makes any difference in the flavor. Overall it was one we liked but I'm not sure if or when I'd make it again.
2 lb ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 28 oz can baked beans, undrained
1 15 oz can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 12 oz bottle chili sauce
2 4.5 oz cans chopped green chilis
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 teaspoons chili powder
shredded cheddar cheese if desired
Cook ground beef and onion over medium high heat until beef is cooked. drain.in a slow cooker mix cooked ground beef mixture and remaining ingedients except cheese.cover, cook on low heat 4 hours.serve with cheddar cheese

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!