Monday, July 12, 2010

Spice Crusted Grilled Pork Chops


So again the original recipe called for pork tenderloin and yet again I couldn't find it on sale anywhere so I subbed pork chops for the tenderloin. I'm not sure if the over the top spicy heat came from the fact I used pork chops or if it's just a really spicy hot dish. Either way I could only get through half my pork chop although my father and husband ate all of theirs. I think next time I'll cut the peppercorn and mustard seeds in half and not put as much rub on the chops or tenderloin. This was another quick and easy dish that was done from start to finish, after getting charcoal to temperature, in 35 minutes. The original recipe also called for coriander seed, which while I'm not a big fan of I couldn't find my bottle of them so I subbed dried minced garlic.

Spice Crusted Grilled Pork Chops
adapted slightly from Cooks Country June/July 2010

3 lbs boneless pork chops or 2 pork tenderloins (1 1/2 to 2 lbs each)
1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seeds, cracked
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic, or 1 tablespoon coriander seed, cracked
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
1 teaspoon Demerara or turbinado or brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 large egg whites

Heat grill, gas or charcoal, for 15 minutes. Scrape and oil grate.

Pat pork dry with paper towels. Combine mustard seeds, garlic, peppercorns, sugar, salt, and cornmeal on rimmed baking sheet. Place cornstarch in large bowl. Beat egg whites in second large bowl until foamy. One at a time, coat pork chops lightly in cornstarch, dip in egg whites, and transfer to rimmed baking sheet to coat with spice mixture.

Spray pork chops with cooking spray and grill, covered, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer to the cooler side of the grill and continue to cook until it reaches between 145-160 degrees. It took mine about 10 minutes total.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! My husband BBQed tenderloin on Sunday.

    Happy blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!