Monday, July 19, 2010

Amish Potato Salad


I love potato salad. I don't think I've ever passed up a potato salad recipe in my life. And I usually love all potato salads I try for various reasons. I loved this salad too even though I felt it was loaded with egg, which for those that know me I HATE eggs with a passion. I will make this again in the future but I will be cutting back on the eggs to one maybe two eggs. Also I have to have onions in my potato salad so I added some to this one. Overall this was a great recipe and one I look forward to making again.

Amish Potato Salad
adapted from Cooks Country June/July 2010

3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 3/4 inch chunks
salt and pepper
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
4 large hard cooked eggs, peeled
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3/4 cup sour cream
1 celery rib, chopped fine
1 onion, chopped fine

Bring potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and enough water to cover by one inch to boil in large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes.

While potatoes simmer, microwave vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves, about 30 seconds. Process vinegar mixture, mustard, 1 hard cooked egg yolk (reserve the white), celery seed, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in food processor until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl.

Drain potatoes, then transfer to large bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over hot potatoes and, using rubber spatula, gently toss until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cooled, at least thirty minutes, stirring gently once to redistribute dressing.

Whisk sour cream into remaining dressing. Add remaining hard cooked eggs and egg white to dressing and, using potato masher, mash until only small pieces remain. Add dressing, celery, and onions to cooled potatoes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve. Salad can be refrigerated in airtight container for 2 days.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!