Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peach Brown Betty


This dish did not last long in our house. Everyone snapped it up and enjoyed it. The peach flavors stood out and the topping was nice and crunchy. The dish was easy to make and while not a thirty minute dessert it was done in about 45 minutes. I can imagine this dish would have been even better if the peaches we in season from somewhere local. I used some that were rock hard and somewhat tart. However it still turned out pretty tasty.

Peach Brown Betty
Cooks Country June/July 2010

Topping
4 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Peach Filling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Set aside. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.

Melt butter in large nonstick ovensafe skillet over medium high heat. Cook peaches , stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize, 8 to 12 minutes. Off heat, stir in 1 cup crumb mixture, sugars, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt.

Top peach mixture with remaining crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool ten minutes. Serve warm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Norah, you are going to laugh but I'm posting this same recipe on Tuesday! We loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Melanie! I can't wait to read about yours. I'm working my way through the oodles of cooking magazines I have sitting in the house. I plan on dumping them on my sister after I make all the recipes we want to try and save them on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this recipe too! It was just perfect with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. My husband and I savored every bite. I used ripe white peaches. Cook's Country does it again :). Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!