Monday, February 9, 2009

Barbecued Macaroni Salad

I found this recipe in the August/September 2006 issue of Cook's Country. I decided to make this for the big birthday diner I was planning since I was looking for a different type of pasta salad and one that I had all ingredients on hand for. At first I thought this fit the bill and then while making it I began to worry that no one would like it. My first taste of it I thought I made a huge mistake but I placed it in the fridge and let the flavors meld together. What a difference two to three hours made because after trying it again a few hours later it was so good. I made the salad the night before and by the time I served it was really really good. It was a little spicy with some bites but overall it was a fun recipe to try. My husband really liked the salad and can not wait for me to make it again. The recipe does call for elbow macaroni but I did not have any on hand so I used shells.

salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
1 rib celery, chopped fine
4 scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
pepper

1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until nearly tender, about minutes. Drain in colander and rinse with cold water until cool, then drain once more, briefly, so that pasta is still moist; transfer to large bowl.

2. Stir in bell pepper, celery, scallions, vinegar, hot sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper, and let sit until flavors are absorbed. Stir in mayonnaise and barbecue sauce and let sit until salad is no longer watery, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve. The salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Check seasonings before serving.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun recipe to try. I think I'll give it a go during barbeque season with some grilled meat or chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your brother,who normally doesn't like pasta salads(or salads in general) also liked it. I didn't think it was spicy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!