Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken #2

I love sweet and sour chicken. I have to force myself not to make it and eat it on a regular basis. I few months back I posted a sweet and sour chicken wing recipe that I've eaten all my life. My mom received the recipe from a family friend in New Mexico and its a favorite in our family. Back when we were growing up we made it with the wings all the time because wings were cheap meat back then but now that chicken wings have become a favorite they are a little pricey. Yet I still have cravings for the dish so I've come up with a great way to enjoy the food without the price of chicken wings. I use breaded uncooked chicken tenders, which I can usually find at a local store called Winegar's mismarked for $1.49 for a 20 lb box. Here's the originial recipe calling for wings but without a picture:
http://norahsrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/08/sweet-and-sour-chicken.html

For the dish I made tonight I just fry the breaded chicken on the stove top just until crispy and brown. Then I make the sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons ketchup
Mix sauce, heating until sugar dissolves.
I then place the chicken tenders on a cookie sheet and cover them with sauce.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until cooked, turning chicken over every five minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. What a yummy looking recipe...going to definitely try this one in the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great.
    Do I read correctly? Cook for 40 minutes? That seems like a long time when the tenders are already partially cooked prior. I see you said in the other recipe that you sometimes use cut up breasts. I was thinking of trying this with some fresh/frozen (not breaded)tenders. How would you adjust the cooking time?
    Thanks
    ~Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby- Yes I did cook it that long because I wanted the coating to crystalize like on the wings. You could get away with a much shorter cooking time if you didn't want the crystalization. As far as with fresh chicken I'm not sure. I've never made it without having breading. I'd say to cook it as long as your normally would cook your chicken for doneness. But without the breading I'm not sure the sauce would work well, its not a thick sauce so if you use it without breaded chicken I'd probably thicken it with something. If you do try it without breading the chicken would you come back and tell me how it was?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!