Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Taco Pasta Bowl


I noticed this recipe in the local newspaper, the Standard Examiner, and thought it was something we'd like. I guess its suppose to be like the bowls that Taco Bell is selling only a healthy take on it. Overall it was pretty good and given the fact the kids actually ate some makes it a winner in my book. I changed a few things from the original recipe. I added onions and garlic to the ground beef while it was cooking. I also, by mistake as I usually don't buy canned enchilada sauce, added way too much sauce. Next time I'd for sure add alot less enchilada sauce, probably the amount called for, and make my own sauce the next time. I find canned enchilada sauce to be bitter. I also served the dish with fresh cut onion on top because I just really like onions. This was a quick and easy meal to make.
1/2 lb ground round or turkey or chicken
15 1/2 ounce can chili beans (do not drain)
10 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
2 ounces chopped green chilies
10 ounce can enchilada sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups cooked pasta shells
1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Cook ground round in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring to crumble; drain. Stir in chili beans, tomatoes, green chilies, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Add pasta to mixture and heat 3 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted and well blended. Serve in bowls. Serves 6.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of canned enchilada sauce either. The only kind I really like starts with a seasoning packet...I think it's McCormick's...and then water and tomato sauce is added. I have a hard time finding it and it can be a little pricy (around a $1 a pack normally). Please post if you come up with an easy, tasty version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!