Monday, October 1, 2007

Pumpkin Pie not from a can


Having received two pie pumpkins from both the local csa and the local food co-op I decided to make pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins and not from a can. It was easier than I thought and I honestly think I won't go back to canned pumpkin again. Again the picture is blurry and I'm sorry. I think something is wrong with my camera.
I cut 2 small pumpkins in half and remove the seeds and stringy parts. Then I baked them cut side down on a baking sheet at 350 degrees until tender. I cooled the pumpkin and than removed the skin. I used the blender to puree the pumpkin.
I then added one 12 ounce can of evaporated milk, 2/3 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs and one egg yolk to the pureed pumpkin. I also added 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon all spice, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Place the pumpkin mixture in a pie shell, I used a recipe I found on allrecipes.com and can post it if your interested. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes and than turned the heat to 350 and cooked at that for about 60 minutes (it took a little longer) and the center came out clean when tested with a toothpick. Cooled for 2 hours and than served the pie with homemade whipped cream.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!