Friday, September 25, 2009

Wisconsin Cheddar Beer Soup

I love cheese soup. I've had the recipe for this soup since November of last year and never got around to making it. I finally did the other day when the temperature took a drop and I was cold. While this recipe was not my favorite cheese soup recipe my husband loved it. He is not a fan of cheese soup but he went back for thirds of this soup. The flavors were good together and I really loved the popcorn mixed with the soup. This is a rich and creamy soup.

Wisconsin Cheddar Beer Soup
Cooks Country December/January 2009

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped fine
2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 (12 ounce) beer
2 cups whole or low-fat milk
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded American cheese, you need a 4 ounce chunk from the deli the sliced cheese will not work
2 teaspoons cornstarch
salt and pepper
popcorn

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Cook onion and carrots until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth, beer, and milk. Bring mixture to simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently (do not boil) until carrots are very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, toss shredded cheeses and cornstarch in large bowl until well combined. Puree soup in blender in two batches until completely in two batches until completely smooth, return to pot, and simmer over medium-low heat. Whisk in cheese mixture, one handful at a time, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Top soup with popcorn.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. Hi Norah! Thanks for checking my blog. I am looking into the lemon water for you. I am asking the caterer. Staci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!