Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bacon Mac


Surprisingly this turned out pretty good. Given the fact it came from Cooking Light I was worried it would be not like macaroni and cheese. I was wrong. However next time I make it I think I'll leave the green onions out they did not do much for me in the dish. The bacon was an interesting addition. The one thing I thought it was missing was maybe some crushed corn flakes or crackers. That would have probably put the recipe over the goal of the Cooking Light magazine but I think it would have added to the dish.

Bacon Mac
Cooking Light Magazine Sept. 2009

3 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
12 ounces strossapreti or penne pasta (I used elbow)
4 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk (I used 1%), divided
2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
cooking spray

Preheat broiler.
Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook one minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155 degrees. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, bacon, and pepper; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2 quart broiler safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.
6 servings.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!