Saturday, September 19, 2009

Green Bean Soup II

We love soup in our house. I love finding a gem of a soup recipe from a source but I usually just make up soup recipes as I go. This is one of those made up recipes. I had just over a pound of fresh green beans from my csa pickup that needed to be used. This turned out to be a pretty tasty soup. My husband did not want to try it and told me he wanted something else for dinner. Well after smelling the soup cooking he changed his mind. Overall this was a simple recipe but it did involve a little bit of time to cook the beans. I'd say it took about one hour from start to finish. A huge bonus being it was much better tasting than a can of soup.

Green Bean Soup II

1 pound fresh green beans, ends cut off and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2-3 strips bacon, I used peppered bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced (use less if your not a huge fan of garlic)
2 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
3 cups water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4-5 drops of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon until almost crisp in a dutch oven. Drain the grease from the bacon and reserved about 1-2 tablespoons. Place the grease in the pot add the cooked bacon and onion. Cook until onions are soft about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 30-45 seconds. Add water and green beans. Bring to a boil and then add all the rest of the ingredients. Simmer until beans are soft, anywhere from 20-40 minutes. You may need to adjust seasonings to your taste and you may need to add water to the pot.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!