Sunday, April 4, 2010

Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloin


I know Norah and family have still been recuperating and I finally made something! I shared the photo with Norah and she requested that I post it to her blog. I did have to have the forethought to make this meal. It does require a little bit of time. I enjoyed it thoroughly but I'm biased towards sugary things.

Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloin
**reciped adapted from America's Test Kitchen Light & Healthy 2010**

3/4 cup maple syrup(I used grade A dark amber, just NOT pancake syrup)
1/4 cup light or mild molasses
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ground red pepper
1/4 cup constarch
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 pounds pork tenderloin
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard(I had grey poupon)

1. Ajdust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Set a wire rack over a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and set aside.(Side story: I never understood this step and I once skipped it in another recipe and learned my lesson. I think I threw the pan away.)

2. Combine 1/2 cup of the maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon and ground red pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk the cornstarch, sugar, black pepper and salt together and spread into a shallow dish.

3. Pat tenderloin dry with paper towels and then roll in cornstarch mixture until evenly coated on all sides. Heat oil in a 12 inch non stick skillet over medium heat until just smoking. Carefully lay tenderloin (if it doesn't fit into your skillet, cut tenderloin in half before rolling in cornstarch mixture) in the skillet and cook until well browned on all sides, 8 to 12 minutes, turning as needed. Transfer pork to the prepared baking sheet.

4. Pour off any excess fat from the skillet and return to medium heat. Add the syrup mixture to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until the mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup, 2 to 4 minutes. Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons of glaze.

5. Brush tenderloin with 2 tablespoons of the reduced glaze. Bake until thickest part of the meat registers 135 degrees on a thermometer, about 30 minutes. Brush tenderloin with another 2 tablespoons of reduced glaze. Bake until thermometer registers 145 degrees, about another 10 to 15 minutes. Pull from oven.

6. Brush tenderloin with remaining reduce glaze and let rest, uncovered, until thermometer registers 150 degrees, about 10 minutes. 

7. While the tenderloin rests, stir the remaing 1/4 cup syrup, reserved 2 tablespoons of reduced glaze and mustard in a small dish. Cut tenderloin into 1/4 inch  thick slices and drizzle with syrup-mustard sauce.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. The glaze is so nice and it really looks so delicious. I can't wait to try this one and make some!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!