Sunday, November 8, 2009

60 Minute Snowflake Rolls

My kids could not eat get enough of these rolls. Lucky for me these are a quick roll to make because the kids ate the first batch before we could use them for dinner. These rolls go together quickly and taste like rolls that take hours. These rolls are my new favorite quick roll recipe. Next time I make these I am going to try using half whole wheat and half white flour. For those on Weight Watchers one roll is 2 points.

60 Minute Snowflake Rolls
The Baking Sheet Holiday 2008

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 (14 3/4 to 15 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons (1 3/8 ounces) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons (2 packets) instant yeast
1 cup (8 ounces) milk or rice milk
1/2 cup (4 ounces) water
1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast. Combine the milk, water, and butter in a saucepan and heat until very warm. The butter doesn't need to melt.

Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes; the mixture will be quite wet. Add another 1/2 cup flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes. The mixture will begin to get thicker.

Stir in enough of the remaining flour so that you have a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured board for 5 minutes.

Put back into the mixing bowl after you've scraped it out, cover and let rise for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Turn the dough out onto your board and cut it into 24 equal pieces; each piece should weigh about 1 1/2 ounces. Shape into rolls by rolling them on the board with your cupped fingers.

Place the rolls into two greased 9 inch round cake pans. Let rise for 20 minutes, until they look puffy. For snowflake rolls, sprinkle the tops with flour just before baking.

Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Remove from pan.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. 60 min rolls sound great to me!! No more waiting 6 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this recipe now. I am having a chile get-together and my plan is to try the recipe as breadsticks. We shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I test drove these guys this evening in preparation for Thanksgiving next week. I've decided that this is my new all purpose dough. Dinner rolls, sandwich buns, breadsticks... this recipe could do any number of things. Simply delicious. We've just devoured the entire batch right out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these tonight and I have to say they are AWESOME! I would note that this can be made mixing by hand (I don't have a stand mixer and dough doesn't play nicely with a and mixer) just be sure ingredients are mixed well and knead well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m guessing the first ingredient is 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 CUPS - sure hope so because that's what I will be measuring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made these today and came out delicious! I wont' even comment on how many I ate right out of the oven. Over the lips and to the hips!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!