Thursday, June 4, 2009

French Toast


I'm sure your wondering why I would post a recipe for something as simple as French toast, well its because I can not stand the taste of French toast. It always tastes "eggy" to me and having to look at the pieces of egg that cooked on the bread is not the least bit appealing to me. I found this recipe in a magazine and it promised no "eggy" taste to the French toast. I was skeptical as how can French toast not be "egg." I will admit that this recipe left no "eggy' taste or pieces of egg on my French toast. As an added bonus it wasn't a really soggy bread either. This does take a few extra minutes compared to a regular French toast but I'll take the extra time for something that actually tastes good to me.

French Toast
Cook's Illustrated Jan/Feb 2009

8 large slices of hearty white sandwich bread or good-quality challah
1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
3 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons for cooking
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Place bread on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Bake bread until almost dry throughout (center should remain slightly moist), about 16 minutes, flipping slices halfway through cooking. Remove bread from rack and let cool 5 minutes. Return baking sheet with wire rack and reduce temperature to 200 degrees.

Whisk milk, yolks, sugar, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons melted butter, salt, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Transfer mixture to 13 by 9 inch baking pan.

Soak bread in milk mixture until saturated but not falling apart, 20 seconds per side. Using firm slotted spatula, pick up bread slice and allow excess milk mixture to drip off; repeat with remaining slices. Place soaked bread on another baking sheet or platter.

Heat 1/2 teaspoon butter in 12 inch skillet over medium-low heat. When foaming subsides, use slotted spatula to transfer 2 slices soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer. If toast is cooking too quickly, reduce heat slightly. Transfer to baking sheet in oven. Repeat cooking with remaining bread, 2 pieces at a time, adding 1/2 teaspoon of butter for each batch.

Serve warm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. This looks soooo good! Do you have a Twitter profile? I want to follow you if you do. Mine is @utahnewssource or you can find me online at http://www.utahnewssource.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking economical breakfast! Just my kind of recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah I am working on getting a twitter thing set up. I am waiting on my sister to help me and will hopefully have it up later this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!