Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Semi-Minestrone Soup


I started out thinking I wanted to make minestrone soup but I didn't have any canned kidney beans and I forgot to soak the dried ones plus I had some defrosted sausage to use. So I ended up subbing the sausage for the beans and it turned out pretty good. I started with a recipe that I wanted to try but I was out of almost half the ingredients so I guess you can say this is an original recipe. The adults in the house loved the soup. The kids picked the sausage out and ate only that.
1 medium onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cube chicken bullion
1 cube beef bullion
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup brown rice
half a head of chopped cabbage
1 pound Italian sausage
5 drops tabasco sauce or less depending on your taste
3 cups water
Cook sausage until brown. Halfway through cooking add onions and celery. Add carrots and garlic. Add water and tomatoes, bullions, and salt/pepper. Bring to a boil and then add cabbage and rice. Bring back to boil then let simmer 3-4 hours. Add tabasco sauce to taste. Serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!