Monday, January 26, 2009

Homemade Noodles


My husband bought me a pasta maker for Christmas. I decided I wanted my own maker because the cost of my favorite noodles have been going up in cost. I don't know how I ever was able to eat the store bought noodles because the homemade ones taste so much better. And for an added bonus its not very pricey or hard to make your own noodles. I paid 35 cents for the big batch of noodles I made for this dish. I've also been successful at replacing 1/3 of the white flour with whole wheat flour.

I am going to post a basic recipe that you can use for all types of noodles. For noodles like the one in my picture you can make the noodles without needing a pasta machine. Basically you roll out the dough to the thickness you desired and then roll up. Then cut to the thickness you desire.

4 eggs
3 cups of flour
water if needed
Put the flour into a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Break the 4 eggs into the well and blend slowly with a fork. Combine the eggs and flour until well blended. If the mixture is too wet, gradually mix in a small amount of flour. If the dough is too dry, gradually work in a little water.

Spread a little flour very lightly on your tabletop. Place dough mixture on tabletop and knead firmly until it is of a consistent color and texture. Form dough into a mound shape and cover with a damp towel. Let the dough rest for at least 10-15 minutes. This allows the ingredients to further blend together.


To cook:
Always use plenty of boiling water so that the pasta can move around. One half pound of noodles will require at least two quarts of water. One pound will need six. Figure one teaspoon of salt for each quart of water. Always let the water come to a full, rolling boil before adding the pasta, or it will not cook up al dente.
The length of time required to cook the pasta will depend on the size, weight, and particular ingredients for the noodles. Homemade noodles take very little time to cook and should be tested after 3-4 minutes. It is better for the pasta to be cooked slightly under than over. Once cooked, drain the pasta, but never rinse it. For the best pasta dish, drain, add sauce and serve it quickly.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!