Sunday, January 4, 2009

Easy Beef Barley Soup

Another recipe from the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking November 2008 issue. This recipe reminded me a lot of the hamburger soup we use to eat when I was a kid. The difference being we used quick cooking barley and no milk. I was not sure about adding the milk but it really did taste good. I added a few things to this recipe but I posted the recipe as is without my additions. I added one minced garlic clove right after draining the meat and veggies. I also added about 5 drops of Tabasco sauce and 4 drops of Worcestershire sauce. This recipe is going in the we will be eating it again file.
1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 celery rib, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) reduced sodium beef broth
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup pearl barley
1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste

In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I think I'll substiture canned beef chunks for the ground beef (I've gotta use it up!)....I'll let you know when I make it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!