Sunday, January 16, 2011

Heath Bar Cake

Mel from Mel's Kitchen Cafe posted this Monday.  I called my husband on his way home from the gym to stop and buy the Heath bars so I could make this cake that night.  It sounded that good to me.  And it did taste as good as it looked on Mel's blog.  Oh it was one of the best tasting cakes I've ever made or eaten.  My favorite parts were the edges of the cake but honestly all parts of this cake were great.  I used six candy bars since I love Heath bars.  Also I had a little bit of caramel sauce leftover from banana splits the night before so I threw some of that on top before baking.  Overall it was a great cake and one that I'm drooling just thinking about it again.

Also don't forget to enter into the contest I am having here.


Heath Bar Cake
Mel at Mel's Kitchen Cafe


1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-6 (1.4 ounces each) chocolate covered toffee bars (like Heath), chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and center a rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, white sugar, flour and butter. Crumble these ingredients together with a pastry blender, whisk or two forks until the mixture is crumbly and coarse. Remove 1/2 cup of the crumbs to a small bowl and set aside. To the large bowl with the remaining crumbs, add the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it to the edges. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the reserved crumbs and chopped Heath bars. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is no longer gooey but a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. The cake may fall slightly in the center leaving the edges raised. No fear! It will still be delicious.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. I love the edges best, too! And brilliant idea to toss the caramel sauce on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this and it was a HUGE success! Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mel! Yes the caramel sauce was a nice addition.
    I'm so glad it worked for you Charmed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!