Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

Well here I am back blogging about food. I know this isn't part of the Cooking Light challenge I was doing and sadly most of the food I bought for that challenge went bad while I was laid up. I think I'm calling the contest and will be posting the winner later this week. Most of the family has now fully recovered from the horrible colds we had. Let me just say whatever I really had, doctors all disagreed over a diagnosis's, was the worst thing that has hit be since being a mom. I started off with a really bad kidney infection and ended up with bronchitis and strep throat. The kids were just as sick as I was. The good news is we are all finally feeling better with just a lingering cough to remind us of how sick we were.

I made these cookies just as I started feeling better cause everyone wanted a treat. These were easy to make with great flavor. I'm going to give them a try in the future with chocolate chips instead of raisins. They were very chewy which is how I prefer oatmeal cookies. The recipe makes about 18 large cookies. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest very light in color. Also you can reduce the granulated sugar to 3/4 cup if you'd prefer a less sweet cookie but you will lose some of the crispness.

Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook

1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz) unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I used ground nutmeg)
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed (7 oz) light brown sugar
1 cup (7 oz) granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 cups (9 oz) old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups raisins

Adjust the oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.

In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.

Decrease the speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients until combined, about 30 seconds. Mix in the oats and raisins until just incorporated.

Divide the dough into 18 portions, each a generous 2 tablespoons, and roll them between your hands into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.

Bake, switching and rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time, until the cookies turn golden brown around the edges, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Norah - your sickness sounds awful! I'm so glad you are feeling better. These cookies look so delicious! I love chewy, fat cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norah,

    Thanks for posting these. I made them (with some changes) for my mom on Mother's Day. They were delish!

    ~Carmen

    You can see my post (which I added your link) on my wordpress blog, Baking is my Zen.

    Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Cranberry Cookies recipe on my wordpress blog, Baking is my Zen.
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/big-and-chewy-oatmeal-cranberry-cookies-for-my-mom-on-mothers-day/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!